The Big Apple is known around the world as a popular vacation destination. From visiting the Statue of Liberty, to the Empire State Building, to all the great food in between, there is something there for everyone to enjoy.
New York City can be pricey, so it’s nice to know where and what establishments honor the men and women in uniform by offering a military discount.
Below is a list of some of the New York areas and attractions that offer a special military discount to our service members and their families.
Top 10 Things To Do in New York City
These are the top 10 things to do in New York City, based on popularity of booked events on Expedia.com. Many of these attractions offer exclusive military discounts. Don’t forget – Expedia also often offers savings for military servicemembers, veterans, and their families.
Go City: New York Explorer Pass
- Included entry to 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 10 attractions
- Choose from 95+ options inc. Empire State Building & more
- Save up to 40 percent compared to buying individual tickets
- Contactless entry – use pass on your phone or print at home
- Unused passes are valid for 2 years from the purchase date
New York CityPASS
- Save time and money with one simple purchase
- Visit 5 top attractions including Empire State Building
- Easy to use mobile tickets
- Save 40 percent on combined regular box office price
Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island Tour
- Engaging guided tour to the Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island
- Reserved time access to board the ferry so you can save time
- Entry to the Statue of Liberty Museum
- Entry to the Immigration Museum at Ellis Island
- Roundtrip ferry tickets
9/11 Memorial & Museum
- Moving & emotional tribute to the lives lost on 9/11
- Poignant memorial fountains in the Twin Towers’ footprints
- Museum with artifacts, photographs & multimedia displays
- Audio remembrances & access to the “Survivor’s Stairs”
- Enjoy your time at the museum & memoria
New York Harbor Lights Evening Cruise
- Romantic sunset cruise to see the city lights from the water
- Route loops down Hudson, around Battery Park & up East River
- Sights include the Statue of Liberty & Empire State Building
- Entertaining & informative commentary from an expert guide
- Comfortable & spacious cruise ship with oversized windows
Empire State Building
- Unobstructed 360 degree view Observation Deck
- In the heart of NYC
- Two attractions for the price of one
- Access to new second floor immersive exhibits
- Architectural, engineering art deco masterpiece & icon
New York Hop-On Hop-Off Open-Top Bus Tour
- Freedom to explore bustling New York City at your own pace
- Choice of routes to design your own itinerary
- Views of Downtown, Times Square, Central Park & Little Italy
- Sites including Empire State Building & Rockefeller Center
- Audio commentary in English languages on 2 routes
The Lion King on Broadway
- The highest-grossing Broadway production of all time
- Fantastic musical that appeals to theater-goers of all ages
- Stunning costumes & puppets bring African animals to life
- Elton John’s Oscar-winning “Can You Feel the Love Tonight”
- 6-time Tony Award® winner, including Best Musical in 1998
Top of the Rock Observation Deck
- 9,500 sq. ft. of unobstructed outdoor viewing space
- 360-degree views of the breathtaking NYC skyline
- Stunning landmarks like Central Park & Empire State Building
- Historical videos chronicling the construction of the Center
- Flexible date entry, reserve your visit based on the weather
First Ferry Access to the Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island
- Avoid afternoon crowds as the first tour group on the island
- See incredible artifacts at the Statue of Liberty Museum
- Hear history come alive with your licensed tour guide
- Visit Ellis Island with personal time to explore
- See the famed NYC skyline while sailing across NYC Harbor
Other New York Military Discounts
9/11 Memorial & Museum
This memorial & museum offers veterans a discounted ticket of $18 for museum admission or $38 for admission and tour. Admission to the Memorial itself is always free to the public daily from 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Active duty, retirees, 9/11 family members, and 9/11 Rescue and Recovery Workers are granted free admission to the museum. Tickets can be purchased early (up to six months in advance), and admission tickets grant access to all exhibitions.
All year long, six days a week (except for Wednesdays), a military discount is offered for service members. This offer is only available on-site. This offer is available to individuals that hold a present and valid military ID. A valid military ID will get Active Duty Military members a free General Admission or Total Experience ticket, and up to three family member tickets at 50% off. Military Veterans are eligible to receive 20% off the purchase of a GA or Total Experience Ticket with a valid military ID.
Another popular tourist spot in Manhattan, Carnegie Hall offers a special rate for military members. Active duty and veterans/retirees will save 30% on an admission ticket. This ticket excludes Weill Music Institute events and Galas. Tickets can be purchased in person only at the Box Office.
Circle Line Sightseeing Cruises
Choose from a variety of cruises and see more than 130 landmarks on Circle Line Sightseeing Cruises. From the best of NYC and the Statue of Liberty to the Harbor Lights Cruise or Rockin’ The River Music Cruise, Circle Line Cruises are a great way to explore and enjoy New York. Active Duty military and Veterans may purchase tickets for 50% off the regular price for themselves and up to four people.
Empire State Building
Located in Manhattan, the Empire State Building is a popular tourist spot. This tourist attraction offers individuals with a military ID a discounted ticket at the price of $36.05. This ticket will allow access to the 86th floor Main Deck Observatory. Service members in uniform will enter the observatory free of charge. The military rate is exclusively available to active duty, veterans/retirees and NATO members.
This museum allows visitors to learn about history aboard the aircraft carrier Intrepid, which also happens to be a National Historic Landmark. The Intrepid Museum offers veterans and active duty members free general admission. As as bonus, veterans are eligible to receive a 20% discount on Individual, Dual and Family Memberships. Tickets can be ordered online, but will be held at the Box Office. A valid military ID will be required at the time of pickup. The Intrepid Museum offers a variety of After Hours and Family Programming, and special programs and events for Veterans, making a membership well worth the purchase.
In the mood to have your picture taken with a celebrity? Maybe get a selfie with your favorite singer or actor? Visit Madame Tussauds’ Celebrity Wax Attraction, and military will receive $10 of their admission tickets. There is no maximum number of tickets you can purchase, so bring along family and friends! Bring a valid military ID to the Admissions Desk to receive your discounted tickets.
Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
Active Duty members as well as family members who have valid military dependent IDs qualify for free admission to MoMA. Tickets can be picked up from the information desk. For more information, visit their home website.
New Years Eve in Times Square
Seeing the ball drop in Times Square can be difficult, due to all the crowds, chaos and excitement that happens during that time. People start arriving to Times Square the morning of the celebration to ensure they snag a great spot. Military members have a special section just for them. Just show your Active Duty military ID to one of the police officers, and they will escort you to the military section. Make sure to use the restroom beforehand, because once you leave your section, you will not be able to return.
New York Aquarium
Located in Brooklyn, the New York Aquarium has 14 acres of exhibits and attractions for their visitors to see. Active Duty members enter for free, and may opt to purchase up to three additional tickets at a 50% discount for family members. Veterans also receive a special rate of 20% off of an admission ticket. Don’t forget to show your military ID when purchasing tickets at the admissions booth. This offer is not available online.
New York Harbor Tours (Lower Manhattan)
Getting great views of the city’s waterways and skylines became much easier thanks to New York’s Harbor Tours. Service members will receive a 15% discount on boat tours of NYC. Departure is from two locations in Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn.
New York MTA
Public transportation in NYC is very important. Luckily for the military community, the MTA (Metropolitan Transportation Authority) offers service members fare at a 25% discount for active duty military. A valid ID card is required to receive the discounted rates.
New York Water Taxi
New York Water Taxi is another way to see the city. Instead of driving or taking the train, try taking the Water Taxi to add an extra splash of fun in your itinerary. A $10 discount is available for all active and non-active duty veterans on a regular cruises with a valid military ID, for up to four people. This discount is not available for online ticket purchases.
NYC City Pass
The City Pass offers deep discounts on admission to the city’s top attractions. Buy one ticket and spend 9 days exploring the area and choosing six different attractions and experiences. While the City Pass does not offer a military discount through their website, Contact the USO office in Times Square and ask about receiving a 25% discount off the purchase of your City Pass.
Top Of The Rock
Climb to the top of Rockefeller Center and experience 360 degree views of the city from 70 floors up. Military members with a valid ID may purchase discounted tickets for $36 for themselves and up to 4 additional people. The discounted tickets may be purchased at the Box Office Window with a valid military ID card.
USO Tickets & Discounts
USO offices often partner with others in the community to offer free and discounted tickets to military families. Visit the Times Square USO office to see what they have available. Tickets may include concerts, Broadway shows, sporting events, museums, and more.
When planning your trip to New York (or if you’re a local), consider checking Vet Tix for complimentary and discounted shows and events. Create an account and submit an application and you may just be seeing a hit Broadway musical or catching a ball game at Yankee Stadium. Speaking of baseball, many teams offer discounted tickets for military members.
You Never Know Unless You Ask
There are many restaurants that offer different cuisines all across New York City. You’re bound to find a restaurant or establishment that offers a military discount. If you aren’t certain, it won’t hurt to ask. Throughout your visit to the Big Apple, be sure to ask if the businesses you patronize offer a special rate/discount for service members.
To save even more if you are travelling to New York, see our list of Travel & Hotel Military Discounts.