Online ID verification services provide access to military and veteran discounts or first responder, teacher or student discounts. Below we’ll detail how these services work, if they are safe and who the major ID verification service providers are.
How Military Service Verification Works
- Services members and veterans complete a form with non-sensitive information such as name, branch of service, and email address.
- To verify eligibility for this benefit, secure data supplied by the Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC) as well as other government sources of Veteran records are used.
- Occasionally a military member or veteran can’t be verified instantly due to a member’s classified status. To ensure 100% coverage, customers may be verified through document review.
- Military verification can then be used at participating websites to obtain military discounts.
Do I have to provide my Social Security number for Military ID verification?
No, sensitive personal data like a Social Security number is not required.
Is Online Military Verification Safe?
If using a legitimate ID service, yes, and we have listed the major services below. Be sure to never provide sensitive information such as a SSN, as that information is not necessary to verify service.
Who are Online Military Verification Services?
VetVerify.Org Exchange Verification
VetVerify enables online shopping for veterans (made available 11/11/2017). VetVerify is a shared verification service of the four military exchanges (AAFES, NEXCOM, MCX and CGX).
Vets.Gov VA Veteran ID Card
Vets.gov actually uses ID.me for military verification but we have listed them as a source for obtaining a Veterans ID card from the VA.
ID.me Online Verification
With one login, access benefits and discounts from hundreds of partners. As mentioned above the Veterans Affairs utilizes this company for Veteran ID verification.
Sheer ID verifies credentials in real-time with hundreds of authoritative data sources including the DMDC for military and veteran verification. Other groups for verification include First Responders, Teachers and Faculty, Students, Industry Professionals and Employees.
This company works in the background for hundreds of retailers that utilize ecommerce platforms such as Shopify, BigCommerce, Wix, WooCommerce and more. ID.Services exists on retailer websites for online verification. No verifications or discounts occur on their site.
U.S. Active Duty military, Veterans, National Guard and Reserve, and their family members can get easy access to savings opportunities in their Military Discounts Marketplace. You are also eligible to subscribe to VetRewards to access exclusive benefits that have been created just for our members and not available to the general public. There is a cost for the VetRewards Plan.
GovX provides exclusive discounts for current and former military, first responders and law enforcement with savings up to 65% on gear, apparel, technology, event tickets, travel and more. Most members are verified on the spot using their work email or a department issued ID (like a DD214). For active duty and veteran military, they can also be verified through the DOD database (DMDC).
- Current & Former Military
- Active military
- Retired military
- Military reserve
- Military academies
- Military Families (spouses and dependents of military members)
- Law Enforcement
- State police & highway patrol
- Sheriff’s departments
- City police departments
- Federal agencies such as FBI, TSA, ATF, ICE, Border Patrol, etc
- Firefighters & First Responders
- Municipal fire departments
- Federal agencies such as the National Parks Service, US Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, etc
- Volunteer firefighters are also eligible
- Government Employees
- Government employees from federal, state or local agencies are eligible to join