Southwest airlines offers a military discount for all active duty military members and their dependents with valid ID. In order to get a Southwest military discount, you must book your tickets by calling their 800 number.
- Active Duty Military of the U.S. Armed Forces: Army, Air Force, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Navy, Space Force
How do I get the Southwest Military Discount?
- In order to purchase a discounted military fare, you will need to speak directly with a Southwest service representative. Call 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792) to request a military fare for a designated flight; you can look up specific flight information by searching online using departure destination, arrival destination, and desired dates.
Additional Southwest Discount Details
- Rapid Rewards points cannot be used to pay for military discounted tickets
- Military fares are refundable
- Dependents can travel solo without eligible Active Duty members. Dependent ID card required.
- Booking can also be done through a travel agent
- Eligibility is valid up to 7 days after your discharge date
- A valid United States Uniformed Services Active Duty Identification Card is required
- Military fares are not available on every flight
- Military fares cannot be purchased on Southwest.com
- Military fares are not always cheaper than the Wanna Get Away fares
- Active duty military members who are traveling on permanent change of station orders are allowed three or more checked bags at no additional charge. There is no charge for being over size or weight on the luggage
About Southwest Airlines
- Southwest Airlines is a carrier that has come to be known for its dedication to customer service and maintaining the lowest airfare prices. Some of the things that set Southwest apart from other carriers include:
- 1st and 2nd checked pieces of luggage are free for everyone (size and weight limits apply)
- No change fees in case of flight changes, customers are only required to pay fare differences
- Rewards points with unlimited reward seats, no blackout dates, and no point expiration (as long as there is flight activity at least every 24 months)
- Seasonal and weekly special offers and sales on flights, hotels, cars, and vacations
- Gate-to-gate connectivity; Southwest is the only carrier to offer Wi-Fi connectivity to passengers from boarding of to exit from the aircraft
More about Southwest Airlines
- Southwest Airlines was incorporated in 1967 by Rolling King and Herb Kelleher. It started out as a small carrier with only three passenger aircraft connecting three cities: Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio. By the end of the 1970s it had expanded to include flights to six other cities in Texas, and in 1979 it performed its first ever interstate flight to New Orleans, LA. In 2013, it conducted its first flight outside the contiguous 48 states to Puerto Rico.
- Today Southwest Airlines is the nation’s largest domestic carrier operating 706 aircraft and more than 4,000 weekday departures to more than 100 destinations all around the U.S. as well as 10 additional countries, and it is still expanding; in 2018 it plans to begin selling tickets for service to Hawaii.
- In 2017, Southwest Airlines was designated as a Most Valuable Employer for military by Recruit Military and was named as Best Employer in a Forbes’ list
- Southwest Airlines is committed to community outreach; it launched a program called Tickets for Time for its Employees which offers one complimentary round-trip ticket for fundraising or outreach for any nonprofit organization for every 40 hours an employee devotes to volunteerism. Southwest also engages in outreach to various community and cultural groups through special events and partnerships with advocate organizations.